Red Solstice KAOS ERROR

Troubleshoot For Games
donkeymilk

i just tried unpack.bat on the red solstice release and i get:
KaOsZ.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command ,operable program or batch file ,could not find KaOsKrew.nz in c:\windows\system32\KaOsKrew.nz
Then could not find the rep file ,pak file e.t.c.

It was followed by warnings for for all the other tools up to kaostex.exe

It scrolls by real quick and says "all done" "press any key to exit"

I was running it from c:\games\ red solstice on win7 x64 with admin.(dual core )

I downloaded Nanozip thinking i could extract the rep file and continue from there but i got an out of memory error trying to extract the rep file from KaOsKrew.nz using Nanozip alpha 0.9.(might have been coz it was the 32bit version)
I've downloaded the x64 version of Nanozip and the gui from the 32bit version seems to work with it ,so i'm extracting the rep file atmo.
Hopefully i can continue the install with the other kaos tools.

i TRIED PUTTING THE REP FILE IN GAME FOLDER and i got more errors(could not find path specified ,+ kaostex.exe) followed by "all done!"
That is odd ,normally i can run kaosrep or kaospak ,but for some reason it's not working.
It must mean the rep file i extracted with Nanozip is the wrong size(665mb) ,oh well.

I was wondering if KaOsZ.exe was looking for 4 cores or more and going into meltdown coz i only have 2 cores.

Maybe if i booted up my win 7 32bit OS it might install ok.

p.s.. to anyone trying to read errors in command window ,just press your 'pause break' key quickly and it should pause so u can read the error/warnings.
Last edited by donkeymilk on 14 Jul 2015, 00:27, edited 14 times in total.
KiNG

Hmm that is weird, I tested the release on 8 cores win7 64bit with 16gig of ram and 4 cores with win8 with 12 gig ram.

Plz let me know if you find the issue m8

How much ram u using BTW?
Last edited by KiNG on 14 Jul 2015, 08:34, edited 2 times in total.
Easy Links For Navigating Around The Site
KaOs Releases | Repack Issues | Broken Links | Youtube | Discord | Helpful Files
(Always use the forum instead of PMing us)
donkeymilk

4gb ram .
I booted up my 32bit win7 and the i was able to continue from the rep command onwards and it's rebuilding the game now ok now.
So the nanozip gui extracted the rep file ok last night.
note:
To anyone reading this i used the nanozip 32bit gui EXE with with the nanozip x64 release to extract the kaos.rep fiel(seems to work ok). it might look like it has stalled half way through extraction but just wait.

Though no idea why it wouldn't work on my x64 win 7.
I can understand the nanozip possibly having a problem ,but the rep command normally works ok.

While it was rebuilding i tried the original unpack.bat with the KaOsKrew.nz and it wouldn't work.
It just deleted the KaOsKrew.nz and went straight to "all done! "press any key to exit"".
edit:
sorry i forgot to put the extra/tools folder in to my folder i was running it from so ignore this result!

So it looks like something going on with the nanozip command.

I've now tried it on 64bit and 32bit win7 running as admin.
My 32bit system has UAC turned off completely ,so it can't be that interfering .
Last edited by donkeymilk on 14 Jul 2015, 16:09, edited 7 times in total.
KiNG

How does it respond not running as admin?

I'm going to upload a request shortly using nanozip but doing it slightly different I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind testing it plz, I could pm u The links before I add it to site.
KaOs Releases | Repack Issues | Broken Links | Youtube | Discord | Helpful Files
donkeymilk

sure ,but i have a 3g connection atmo which downloads at 60kbs .
So a 1gb file can take 4hours.

About trying as "not admin" ,GIVE ME A MIN as i have to reboot into my win7 x64 bit os.

I 'll have to wait a bit as the audio files of red solstice are still rebuilding on my 32bit os.

edit:
on 32bit win 7 i tried "without admin" ,but it deletes the main nz file and goes straight to "all done"
But i have uac turned off anyway ,so that's probably not helpful.
I'll try on x64 win7 in about 20mins.
Last edited by donkeymilk on 14 Jul 2015, 15:38, edited 3 times in total.
KiNG

donkeymilk wrote:sure ,but i have a 3g connection atmo which downloads at 60kbs .
So a 1gb file can take 4hours.

About trying as "not admin" ,GIVE ME A MIN as i have to reboot into my win7 x64 bit os.

I 'll have to wait a bit as the audio files of red solstice are still rebuilding on my 32bit os.
NP the file is about 350meg btw
donkeymilk

Well ,350mb should be doable ,though it will take a bit of time :)

I 'll run it from win 7 x64 ,when I've i downloaded it.

EDIT:
The game runs fine on win 7 32bit after rebuilding from the rep command onwards.
While experimenting with three different installs of the game on win7 32bit ,i forgot to put the extras/tools folder into one of the folders, so it was deleting the KaOsKrew.nz .
I have a feeling the install might have worked ok on 32bit.
But i'm not rebooting to check as it works ok on x64 win7 by running the install as non admin (see post below)
Last edited by donkeymilk on 14 Jul 2015, 16:24, edited 4 times in total.
donkeymilk

HEY! On win 7 x64 with U.A.C. , I ran the unpack.bat as "non admin" and the install is proceeding as normal.

I have a command window open and nanozip is converting to rep.

So it looks like that was a good tip to try.
You probably;ly know why it's working ok as non admin ,i have no idea :)

Though nanozip does the same thing it did when using the nanozip gui and appears to stall at approx 380mb.
But i think it will be ok if i just wait a few mins.
EDIT:
Yep ,the install is working ok and the rest of the game rebuild has started.

So you were right about just clicking "open" on the unpack.bat. and not using "run as admin".
It seems to have done the trick ,great.

Game runs ok after rebuild as"non admin" on win7x64 with U.A.C turned on.

NOTE:
Peeps will think nanozip has frozen and stopped working ,so you'll probably get a lot of posts complaining :)
You''ll have to tell them to be patient and wait for the rebuild to do its thing.
Maybe print some big letters in bat file ,so it comes up in the command window.
"WAIT FOR NANOZIP TO FINISH"
Nanozip is pretty good for files that are not too big and does the job well.
Last edited by donkeymilk on 14 Jul 2015, 16:32, edited 8 times in total.
KiNG

donkeymilk wrote:HEY! On win 7 x64 with U.A.C. , I ran the unpack.bat as "non admin" and the install is proceeding as normal.

I have a command window open and nanozip is converting to rep.

So it looks like that was a good tip to try.
You probably;ly know why it's working ok as non admin ,i have no idea :)

Though nanozip does the same thing it did when using the nanozip gui and appears to stall at approx 380mb.
But i think it will be ok if i just wait a few mins.
EDIT:
Yep ,the install is working ok and the rest of the game rebuild has started.

So you were right about just clicking "open" on the unpack.bat. and not using "run as admin".
It seems to have done the trick ,great.

Game runs ok after rebuild as"non admin" on win7x64 with U.A.C turned on.

NOTE:
Peeps will think nanozip has frozen and stopped working ,so you'll probably get a lot of posts complaining :)
You''ll have to tell them to be patient and wait for the rebuild to do its thing.
great be removing administrator from the nfo in future lol
donkeymilk

Yeh , such a small thing can cause havoc.
Thanks King.
Last edited by donkeymilk on 14 Jul 2015, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
KiNG

donkeymilk wrote:Yeh , such a small thing can cause havoc.
Thanks King.
We had issues with some of our patches been run as admin, might be worth removing it from the NFO all together.
Last edited by KiNG on 14 Jul 2015, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Coded23

Adding both,
Run as admin and try normal install if running as admin is failed
should be better tho.
Last edited by Coded23 on 15 Jul 2015, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
You will not be punished for your anger, You will be punished by your anger.
-Buddha
donkeymilk

KiNG wrote:
donkeymilk wrote:Yeh , such a small thing can cause havoc.
Thanks King.
We had issues with some of our patches been run as admin, might be worth removing it from the NFO all together.
Yeah ,might be a good idea.

It's difficult as different peeps have different computer setups.
But if all parts of the install can run ok without "run as administrator" ,then it could work i suppose.

Some of us can work out what's going on and fix it ourselves.
Users will prob. let you know if they run into any issues.

I suppose u can leave a "note" somewhere to let peeps know what's going on.

EDIT:
I just installed an old Skullptura release,
Mercenaries.2.World.In.Flames.Multi-2.Full-Rip.Skullptura.

It was exhibiting the same behaviour , if i ran the setup.bat as "non admin" it installed ok ,but if i clicked "run a admin" it failed and went straight to end of the bat commands.

Maybe it's something that changed after a recent win 7 update.
I've never noticed it before ,though i was on 32bit win 7 until a couple of months ago with U.A.C. always off.
Last edited by donkeymilk on 20 Jul 2015, 13:05, edited 5 times in total.