Which laptop with what specs to buy ?

Chat About Anything You Like - READ RULES
Anh1lator

I was thinking to buy a decent laptop (multipurpose , of course, but mainly for gaming).
Right now I have checked out the Acer Aspire V5 ...... long name, it has ;
Intel i7 Haswell 1.8 GHz (Turbo Boost upto 3 GHz) Dual Core, Dual Hyperthreading.
THIS ONE, I think : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core ... 562.0.html

8 GB RAM 1600 MHz

GPU : Nvidia GeForce GT 750m (4 GB DDR3)

1 TB Seagate HDD

It doesn't have a DVD Writer

So, are these specs Okay for playing recent, new and upcoming games at medium settings ?
Please help me, and also give ur suggestions. :)
Last edited by Anh1lator on 09 Aug 2015, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.
Coded23

1. Desktop are better for gaming than laptop,
2. You can buy a good gaming desktop which are cheaper and powerful than laptop,
3. Most of gaming companies doesn't officially support laptop,
4. Laptop are more notorious to problem than desktop.
You will not be punished for your anger, You will be punished by your anger.
-Buddha
Anh1lator

thirunarayan wrote:1. Desktop are better for gaming than laptop,
2. You can buy a good gaming desktop which are cheaper and powerful than laptop,
3. Most of gaming companies doesn't officially support laptop,
4. Laptop are more notorious to problem than desktop.
Yes bro, I know that, actually I was also thinking to build a decent Desktop PC, but actually I am looking for a Laptop for the portability and mobility it provides.
And as I am college student, portability and multipurpose use does matter.
But I would consider that.
Btw, are the Laptop specs I stated in main post decent enough to play new and upcoming games at medium ?
Last edited by Anh1lator on 09 Aug 2015, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Coded23

I think you can play some latest/upcoming games at medium setting and you can play more latest/upcoming games at low setting.
-Buddha
KiNG

Yeah those specs don't look to bad for a lappy, u should get med settings on a lot of the current games
Last edited by KiNG on 09 Aug 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Easy Links For Navigating Around The Site
KaOs Releases | Repack Issues | Broken Links | Youtube | Discord | Helpful Files
(Always use the forum instead of PMing us)
aaronroy

Take caution when buying that laptop because CPU is not upgradable or replaceable as stated by "cpu-world.com".
Its just not worth it if you into gaming unless its equipped with 2 GPUs. Where one is integrated into the cpu intel hd 4400 (weak) and other is (powerful) nvidia,Ati Mid-high ranged
As for gaming CPU doesn't matter that much for me. As long as i have dual core with 4 thread or i3-2 threads above,i5-2 to 4 threads,i7- 4 to 8 threads. I have tried all these i's. And latest i7 is faster at video converting which is mostly needed for h.265(HEVC) conversion and video editing. What matters a lot for gaming is GPU. Sorry for my bad English.
Last edited by aaronroy on 09 Aug 2015, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Anh1lator

Thanks for replies.

@aaronroy : As far as I know, in laptops, CPU and many other components are non-replaceable or upgradeable. However, I forgot to add in the specs that RAM is expandable upto 12 or 16 GB, and there is also an SSD slot.

And the laptop has Linux installed, no Windows, so how can I get Windows on it.
And some says that without a DVD Driver, its a pain to install drivers and stuff, is that so ?

And I checked a few more laptops,

* HP (don't remember the laptop name or model) :
Specs : Win 8.1, i5 5200u, Nvidia 830m, 4 GB/ 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD.

* Lenovo
Specs : i5, 8 GB RAM, AMD R5 M330 GPU, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM.

How about these.

And I want to ask u guys that I have a AOC 32 inch HD ready LED at home, so can I be able to play the games on the bigger screen using HD cable from the laptop (assume the laptop I stated in main post) and will it run fine ?
Last edited by Anh1lator on 10 Aug 2015, 07:34, edited 2 times in total.
macbookair2013

you will have to make a bootable usb with windows on it. theres a few apps that can put windows from an iso to usb etc.

for your aoc tv make sure you get a laptop with hdmi out connection, -

you will want a laptop with good performance with the components. i had a hp laptop with radeon gpu and with its switchable graphics, it wasnt implemented as well as nvidia,

performance was bad, throttling high, used a laptop cooler when gaming - which you may experience.

avoid AMD R5 M330 GPU - 64bit bus

If i had to get a laptop it would have to be nvidia 770m/800 series or another with 256bit bus,

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-G ... 849.0.html

its alot better playing a desktop, throttling due to heat with significantly reduce its performance
Anh1lator

macbookair2013 wrote:you will have to make a bootable usb with windows on it. theres a few apps that can put windows from an iso to usb etc.

for your aoc tv make sure you get a laptop with hdmi out connection, -

you will want a laptop with good performance with the components. i had a hp laptop with radeon gpu and with its switchable graphics, it wasnt implemented as well as nvidia,

performance was bad, throttling high, used a laptop cooler when gaming - which you may experience.

avoid AMD R5 M330 GPU - 64bit bus

If i had to get a laptop it would have to be nvidia 770m/800 series or another with 256bit bus,

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-G ... 849.0.html

its alot better playing a desktop, throttling due to heat with significantly reduce its performance
Thanks for the reply, I will check out some components to build a desktop today, and try to do some research on 'em, cuz I don't know much about building a PC.

Anyways, so now I assume that the AMD Radeon R5 M330 is not 'that good'.
And what about Nvidia 750m 4GB DDR3 (maybe 128 bit, dunno).
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 245.0.html
''It doesn't matter how hard you can hit, but what matter is how hard you can get hit.''
Anh1lator

KiNG wrote:Yeah those specs don't look to bad for a lappy, u should get med settings on a lot of the current games
Some guys said that the CPU is ULV (Ultra Low Voltage), so it might throttle down and slightly decrease the performance, some say this combination is fine.
So, do you think the CPU (and other components) are suitable for playing games like FIFA 16, NBA 2K16, CoD : BO 3, Rainbow Six : Siege, The Division, MGS : Phantom Pain and others at medium (or low) settings or not. [I know I am having high ambitions, lol].
macbookair2013

the combo is fine, the intel UVL are a good cpu,a M quad is better but it shouldnt bottle neck it.
it should be equivalent to a Intel Core i5-3230M, which is fine
Coded23

Yeah ! You can play fifa 16 and nba 16 at med setting.
Games like CoD : BO3, Rainbow Six : Siege, The Division and MGS : Phantom Pain can be played at very low setting[I.e.graphic setting=low and screen resolution@800X600].
-Buddha
macbookair2013

sorry i didnt read the games you wanted to play, its terrible on low 800x600, so much detail is removed, seeing GTA5 runs around 40fps on a 750m you will be lucky getting 30+fps with the next gen games.

witcher 3 is at 30fps on low, i notice the requirements is more than GTA5 on desktop.

playing games around 30fps max is bad because when a intense situation occurs you will see frame drop to possibly 20fps, you realize later how bad it is when you compare the visuals and experience to how its supposed to be enjoyed
aaronroy

GPU specs you have listed will work low-high on old games. Though it will (struggle) have really low frame rate on games like Dead Rising 3, new Assassin's Creed games, GTA5. Checking some guys game play on YouTube with those graphic cards will help.
Anh1lator

Thanks for the useful replies everyone. I will do a bit research and if I need know something I'll get back here. Again, thanks. :)
''It doesn't matter how hard you can hit, but what matter is how hard you can get hit.''
ProHackerz09

I'm using Asus ROG G551JM. Most games can run 60 fps on 1280x720 & 1920x1080 resolution with custom high graphic settings
Anh1lator

Sorry for a bit late reply.
I did some small research on this.

And there are a few questions (regarding the laptop I stated in first post).

1. The laptop has a 'non-removable battery' (4-cell), so I am concerned if I buy it, in future I will or will not be able to change the battery.

2. Is the NVIDIA 750m 4GB DDR3 'okay-ish' for games like Mad-Max, MGS : PP, FIFA 16, BF : Hardline, Just Cause 3, and a few more.
I have checked out some Gameplay videos on YouTube with this card and games like GTA V, FC 4, BF 4, and few others worked fune on medium settings or medium- high mixed settings.
But, still I a bit confused.

3. Intel I7 4500u Haswell 1.8 GHz Dual Core (Turbo Boost upto 3.0 GHz), is it enough to handle heavy games and other apps and stuff ?

4. I have read some reviews about the laptop thatit heats quite a bit while playing games on it.

That's all I remember right now.

Waiting for some replies. :)
Anh1lator

Sorry for a bit late reply.
I did some small research on this.

And there are a few questions (regarding the laptop I stated in first post).

1. The laptop has a 'non-removable battery' (4-cell), so I am concerned if I buy it, in future I will or will not be able to change the battery.

2. Is the NVIDIA 750m 4GB DDR3 'okay-ish' for games like Mad-Max, MGS : PP, FIFA 16, BF : Hardline, Just Cause 3, and a few more.
I have checked out some Gameplay videos on YouTube with this card and games like GTA V, FC 4, BF 4, and few others worked fune on medium settings or medium- high mixed settings.
But, still I a bit confused.

3. Intel I7 4500u Haswell 1.8 GHz Dual Core (Turbo Boost upto 3.0 GHz), is it enough to handle heavy games and other apps and stuff ?

4. I have read some reviews about the laptop thatit heats quite a bit while playing games on it.

That's all I remember right now.

Waiting for some replies. :)
ProHackerz09

I dunno about the others but from my experience, Acer ain't good if you want to play games. I suggest you to buy gaming laptops if you can afford it. I'm not that good with hardware so correct me if I'm wrong :P

1. It's better to buy a laptop with a removable battery

2. Any card above 800M with GTX in its name is fine and get one with 2 GB or more vram. My GTX 860M can run all new games on custom settings (I can set everything to ultra but stuff like shadow, anti aliasing, etc must be set to medium/off)

3. That cpu can handle it but you might not get enough performance. Higher clock speed and cores are usually better.

4. Yes laptop heats up really fast when playing games and you might need to get a cooler. Remember don't use it for too long as it can cause damage to the hardware.
Coded23

Gddr5 2GB version gpu rather than 4GB one is better, Because Gddr5 version gives nearly 0.5x more performance than ddr3 version and most of games don't even use 2GB of vram, even a memory hungry game don't use vram more then 1.8 gigs.
As prohacker said buying a laptop which has removable battery is better and coolpad is must for playing games on laptop.
-Buddha
Anh1lator

Thanks for the replies again.

Honestly, I think I can't afford the gaming laptops that's why I am looking for a mid-range laptop with such specs so that I can play recent games on mid-low settings.

And ProHackez09, shich cooling pad are u using ?

And about the battery, I think its a non 'user' removable battery, and it can be replaced by the guys at service centers maybe OR if someone has enough knowledge to do so.

And can anyone tell me what will be the equivalent of Nvidia 750m 4 GB DDR3 if compared to Desktop Graphics Card ?
Last edited by Anh1lator on 09 Sep 2015, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Coded23

Probably the GTS 450/7750 level of performance (still weaker than a 550 Ti/650).

Source : Tom's Hardware.
=============================================================================================

Compare @ gpuboss.
-Buddha
kpatti

Buy a Laptop of GTX GPU